Welcome to the Ask SCN Community Forums Global Forum General Discussion Xonotic server running behind UDP proxy not working

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SmoranMadis
    Participant

Hi there,
    Can Xonotic dedicated server run behind a UDP proxy?
    TL;DR 
    I wanna run a dedicated server within a VM and be able to connect from either my local laptop and others computers from the same LAN.
    I have a VM running the gameserver within my home LAN. The VM IP is neither exposed to the LAN or public to any other laptop that is part of the same LAN.
    My idea is to run a UDP proxy on my laptop that forward requests to the VM IP. It would be something like:
    ANY COMPUTER<———->192.168.0.4(MY LAN IP)<———->UDP PROXY PORT: 7866(MY COMPUTER)<———->192.168.64.12:7866(VM)
    I managed to get some traffic flowing using socat. However the client does not start the match.
    I set the client to use port 7867. The following output comes from the console (dev mode activated)
    Client using port 7867
    Client opened a socket on address 0.0.0.0:7867
    Client opened a socket on address [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]:7867

When I click join (192.168.0.4:7866) the output from console is:
    Trying to connect…
    [::MENUQC::TRACE] CheckCategoryForEntry(./menu/xonotic/serverlist.qc:215)
    Found strange mod type: quake
    Found strange mod type: quake
    Connect: Waiting 10 seconds for reply
    Found strange mod type: jeff
    Found strange mod type: jeff
    Connect: Failed
    I am running socat using the following command:
    socat -d -d UDP4-RECVFROM:7866,reuseaddr,fork UDP4-SENDTO:192.168.64.12:7866 (the output shows some traffic going on)
    Whe I use the VM IP my game client can connect and everything works well. However that IP is not visible to others computers in the same LAN.
    Any help is really appreciated.

MikaEmber
    Participant

That’s a really good question. I’m not sure if that pertains to the old members as well. I would imagine that it does, but I’m not entirely sure.

AlexViver
    Participant

I like your way of thinking, and it’s an exciting idea to run a dedicated server inside a virtual machine. It seems to me that if everything is configured correctly, it should work. The error may be in the wrong proxy server. I recently started using proxy server online, which was much more convenient than my old proxy. You can also read how to set up a match properly, and the problem may be with the client port. Here it would help if you thought to find the problem.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.